Common Mistakes When Using an Alarm System
March 10, 2015
Nationally the Police respond to millions of calls to alarm systems where no crime or attempted crime has been committed. Numerous studies have shown that over 75% of these calls are due to user error. The purpose of this article is to help you identify the most common mistakes that are made and how to correct them. Please review these helpful hints and should you need additional information or training give us a call.
The most common errors occur when the alarm is being turned on. The proper procedure to follows is:
« Back to Articles
- Check the alarm keypad and verify that the system is ready to turn on.
- If the alarm is not ready to arm check all doors and windows until the alarm is ready to turn on.
- Make certain that everyone who is leaving is ready to exit.
- Enter the arming code and have all people exit.
- Close the exit door and lock it.
- Wait by the door to make certain that the siren or bell does not go off.
- If for any reason you must re-enter the premises, open the door and immediately turn the alarm off.
- When you are again ready to exit repeat the above steps.
- MOST IMPORTANT, if the alarm goes off don't leave until you've spoken to us.
- The second most common error occurs when turning the alarm off. The proper procedure is as follows:
- Approach the door and unlock it.
- Open the door and enter.
- Immediately go to the alarm keypad and enter your code.
- Wait by the keypad until you get confirmation that the alarm is off.